Monday, June 25, 2012

Review: Turkey & Broccoli Pie

This is a recipe I found under my silverware sorting tray. Why was it under there? Well it lives under ther with a stack of many other recipes that I shove under there when I don't have any more room in my recipe box and can't stand to see them tacked to the fridge or on the counter anymore. I haven't made this one before so when I looked it over and saw it was relatively cheap due to having all the ingredients already on hand, I decided to add it to my menu and give it a shot!!

Here's what you'll need to make two full pie plates, enough to serve seconds and possibly thirds to a family of five, feel free to scale this recipe back by half for a smaller serving size or just one pie plate.


Original Recipe:
1 bag of frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
3 cups of cheddar cheese
1 lb cooked cubed turkey (or you can do chicken)
1 small onion, chopped
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup bisquick mix
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oven to 400F, crease a pie pan or round cake pan with oil. In large bowl mix broccoli, 1 cup of cheese, the turkey and onion. Spoon into pie plates in equal amounts.

Stir eggs, milk and bisquick and seasonings to taste until blended. Pour over mixture in pie plate.

Bake 30 minutes**** or until knife inserted in center comes out clean ***. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, bake a few minutes longer until melted. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.



Alright.... first I want to touch on the ***** on the cooking time because this is most important. These cooking times are not entirely accurate. You're looking at more like 45-50 minutes. Inserting a knife is not accurate because I did that- found it clean and spooned out a bit to find it gooey on the bottom. When I investigated the bottom of my see-through dishes I saw the dough had not cooked through there. I had to cover it at this point with foil to save the cheese I had already placed on top. The end result is a very, very, very slightly gooey consistency to the dough that is similar to quiche and what I expect it is supposed to be. If you baked it longer, you'll avoid this or longer at lower temperatures to avoid over cooking the top. Also to avoid this you could put in a little less of the dough, only filling the plate to half instead of submerging the mixture in the dough for a more bread type dish.

I seasoned my turkey with Mrs. Dash grilling blends 'chicken' and omitted the salt and pepper. (You'll find I omit salt fairly often when it can be avoided due to health issues but feel free to follow to your own tastes.) I really liked the flavor the mrs. dash gave the dish over all. The onions were not overwhelming, a just right amount basically. And I used 4 cheese mexican blend instead of straight cheddar. End result? My kids loved it. My kids as a general rule hate everything I cook, they all asked for seconds and ate generous servings full.

Here's the break down of the cost.

Foster Farms turkey breast cutlets 2.45 after coupon.
*To save more, bake a whole turkey or chicken and use leftover meat for multiple dishes. This was my original plan but I could not find whole turkey for my coupon.
Bisquick 2.00 after coupon.
Mrs. Dash .69 after coupon.
Frozen broccoli .50
4 cheese mexican blend 1.29 after coupon.
eggs, pennies per dozens
milk, pennies per gallons
= approximately .71 a serving for 2 pie plates which equate to around 5 generous helpings per dish.

I'll make this one again and I thank General Mills for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment