Monday, June 25, 2012

Creation: Vegetable Curry and Rice

My neighbor is a lovely gal who happens to be of Indian orgin, having hated curry my entire adult life, she has completely and radically changed my opinon, as well- she has inspired me to try my hand at Indian cooking. I love the foods of cultures that are rich in spices and creative with the selected ingredients. Brazilian is my favorite, Greek second, Moroccan next... and now Indian. Threw this dinner together today so I would have a meal ready when I got back from couponing. It smelled so good when I came home, I decided to have a bowl for lunch.

Vegetable Curry
1 head of cauliflower (I had the green cauliflower on hand from my food co-op)
2 cans of garbanzo beans (keep juice)
1 can of tomato sauce
1 large bell pepper, sliced
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cloves
1/2 tbsp Onion Powder
1 tbsp Curry Powder
1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 Chicken bullion or 1/2-1 tsp "chicken seasoning" (not poultry seasoning!!!) *To make this vegetarian, simply replace this with vegetable bullion.

Mix 2 cans of beans with the juice in a crock pot with tomato sauce. Add all other vegetables except the cauliflower. Add the seasonings to taste, I provided rough estimates but this is a very adaptable recipe. Mix it together then place the cauliflower on top. Cook on low for 4 hours. (This recipe can also be cooked on the stove in a pinch.) Serve over jasmine rice. Your protein is in the beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment